We are so incredibly happy to welcome Drew back to Sayville, safe and sound from his cross-country biking extravaganza. When relying only on himself and his bicycle, it was hard for Drew to enjoy many of his favorite eats on the road. So we've rounded up his most missed foods from his trip. And you better believe he's going to get his hands on these as soon as possible! Just try your best to make it through this list without getting hungry - trust us, it's harder than you think.
10. Dastony Nut Butters - "When every ounce you are carrying on your bike counts, glass jars are typically a no-no. Nuts and seeds in bags are far more weight-friendly and there's no concern about oil stains. Occasionally I find nut butters in plastic jars, but it's usually non-organic and/or full of yucky additives; quality is generally synonymous with glass in this area of the store. Dastony is not only top quality, but they are all 100% raw, are stone ground for a distinct texture, and have more obscure and delicious choices like hazelnut, hemp, and Brazil nut butter. I am truly spoiled back at Cornucopia with that selection!"
9. Real Pickles Kimchi - "A man can find fermented veggies fairly easily anywhere in America, but vegan-friendly kimchi is a rare jewel out in the wilds of the west. Traditionally, Koreans use brine shrimp in their kimchi (a footnote my college roommate failed to inform me of...), but many organic manufacturers know how much vegans want that spicy blend of daikon radish, carrot, and napa cabbage. Real Pickles goes one step further by sourcing all of their ingredients locally up in Massachusetts. Unfortunately, such a commitment to local, organic, and small batch values makes it so this great company is only available on the east coast. There are other companies out there making similar products, but it just ain't the same..."
8. Punk Rawk Labs Cashew Cheese - "Clearly the best vegan cheese alternative in the world! This small company freshly prepares every batch of their truly cultured cashew cheese when ordered and you can not only taste the difference, but see it in their super simple ingredients list. It's like traveling first class; once you have a taste, you can never go back...."
7. Cornucopia’s Pumpkin Seed Pesto - "Nobody makes pesto quite like we do! Aside from having a particular delicious flavor unlike any pestos out there, Cornucopia's is dairy-free/vegan and is made with pumpkin seeds that provide essential fatty acids, protein, and key nutrients for men's health. I use it in a million ways, but at least one of those is going to be my first meal back on Long Island!"
6. Hu Hazelnut Chocolate Bar - "Do you ever forget the taste of a particular flavor to such an extent that upon that first bite, it swarms the palate, reviving long-lost sense memories, and begging the question; why don't I remember how much I love this? That's hazelnut and chocolate, for me. Every. Time. And nobody does it like Hu Chocolate."
5. Glaser Farms Maple Cinnamon Walnuts - "Glaser Farms is a bit of a staple in stores down in Florida, where they are based, but Cornucopia is one of the few stores outside of that region carrying their products. It's a shame because Glaser produces some of the highest quality raw, organic, living foods on the market. These sprouted and dehydrated walnuts are kicked up a notch with maple, cinnamon, and a touch of sea salt. Every time I see something similar out here it's loaded with conventional sugar, additives, preservatives, or worse. Less nutrition, more crap. Accept no substitutes!"
4. Fresh Jackfruit - "Traveling through South Dakota and Wyoming, you'd think Jackfruit was the mythical counterpart of the Jackalope. Adventurous foodies speak of it in hushed tones, their eyes aglow, ears perked with excitement. Yet none are to be found, even by the boldest shopper... Loyal Cornucopians! Relish the pre-cut Jackfruit in our produce case! Savor the BBQ Jackfruit in our deli! Enjoy the legendary fruit whereas I cannot!"
3. Lovegrace Invigorate Juice - "Normally, fresh or cold-pressed juices are a daily staple in my diet, but off the beaten path, that's nothing but a wish on a star. Occasionally I can find a juice bar, but mostly I'm looking at non-organic, pasteurized, bottled stuff that is lacking in the real, living, nutrition that supercharges my day. Lovegrace is my favorite line for both their small-batch focus on quality as well as their choice flavor combinations."
2. Greenleaf Spinach Raw Wraps - "I can't believe how much I miss making a dope sammie on these things... there is nothing else like this product out there and LITERALLY no one carries this. I'm gonna overdose on my Banh Mi twist when I get home; lettuce, tomato, sprouts, cucumber, Punk Rawk Labs Cashew Cheese, and Real Pickles Kimchi."
1. Fresh Vegetables - "And being able to prepare them in a real kitchen! Most nights I am camping with the barest essentials or in a motel so it's super simple stuff just to get my essential nutrients, but occasionally I stay with someone who I always repay with a fresh cooked meal. It's a double-edged sword that gives me some really nice relaxation and much needed socializing, but it also makes me long for what is my daily happy place; standing in the kitchen with some good music, whipping up something delicious, and feeding baby carrots to a sweet little pup."