It's our last #seasonalsaturday of 2016, so we are starting the celebration early with a delicious rendition of french toast! Oranges are coming into season in Florida as we move into January, so we think it is the best way to bring some sunshine and warmth in our lives. This dish is the perfect way to get everyone together for one last hoorah as the holiday season comes to a close.
If you don't have time to make this in the morning, you can make it ahead the night before. Simply mix up all your ingredients, cover your dish, and place in the fridge overnight. What better way to bring in the new year than with good, wholesome food! HAPPY NEW YEAR!
1 loaf of bread (your choice) with crusts cut off, sliced
4 large eggs
2 cups milk
1 tbsp. orange zest
1/2 cup orange juice
2 tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a baking pan (approx. 2 quart size works best!)
- Line your bread in the pan to they lightly overlap each other.
- Mix together eggs, milk, orange zest and juice, sugar, cinnamon, salt, and vanilla extract.
- Pour mix over bread, making sure to lightly press each piece so they are saturated with goodness.
- Bake for 35 - 40 minutes, until edges are golden brown. Again, if you cannot bake immediately, simply cover your dish and refrigerate overnight!
- Top with orange slices and drizzle with maple syrup and ENJOY!
Recipe via Brooklyn Supper.