Chocolate lovers and sweet potato lovers UNITE! Do we have a treat for you - raw vegan brownies topped with chocolate AND purple sweet potato frosting.
These brownies are basically a health food, so you can totally eat them and not feel guilty afterwards. What could be better than that? Not much if you ask us.
Something cool about this recipe is that is it raw-friendly. So if you are on a raw diet, these treats are approved! Just omit the purple sweet potato frosting and you will be good to go - although it makes these have a nice pop of color! We hope you love this delicious treat.
3/4 cup raw walnuts + additional 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
3/4 cup almond flour
1/4 cup + 2 tbsp. raw cacao powder
12 ounces dates, pitted
Heaping 1/4 tsp. sea salt
1/8 cup raw almonds, chopped
Raw cacao nibs and flaked sea salt for serving
- Line an 8 x 8 square baking pan with parchment paper.
- Using a food processor, ground the walnuts very finely.
- Add the almond flour, cacao powder, and sea salt to the food processor and pulse until combined.
- Finally, add the dates and process until mixture becomes a sticky dough.
- Transfer dough to the parchment paper-lined pan. It will be very sticky!
- Top with 1/8 cup of the additional walnuts and 1/8 cup of almonds. Press the dough into the bottom and sides of the pan until it is flat and firm.
- Refrigerate brownies for 1-2 hours.
- Frost brownies with chocolate frosting and then purple sweet potato frosting. Top with reserved 1/8 cup chopped walnuts, a sprinkling of raw cacao nibs, and a pinch or two of flaked sea salt.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
1/2 cup solid coconut oil
4-5 tbsp. raw cacao powder, or 2 ounces of dark chocolate, melted and cooled
4 tbsp. maple syrup
1 tsp. canned coconut milk
- Using a hand blender or stand mixer, whip the shortening and coconut milk together.
- Add the cacao powder (or melted dark chocolate), and maple syrup. Beat on medium or high speed until you reach a frosting-like consistency.
Sweet Potato Frosting
5-6 very small purple sweet potatoes (approximately 10-12 ounces)
2 tbsp. canned coconut milk
2 tbsp. solid coconut oil
2-3 tbsp. maple syrup
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Wrap sweet potatoes individually in aluminum foil. Bake potatoes on a baking tray for approximately 45 minutes until completely soft.
- Once slightly cooled, remove potato from skins and place into a mixing bowl. Using a hand mixer or potato masher, mash the potatoes.
- Add coconut milk, shortening, maple syrup, and vanilla. Beat on medium or high speed until you reach a smooth, creamy frosting-like consistency.
Recipe via Laws of Bliss