Happy #seasonalsaturday, friends!
And happy first official weekend of summer! To celebrate, we are whipping together these zucchini doughnuts filled with chia seeds and spices to give you a burst of energy and keep that energy level sustained all day long.
Zucchini is a deliciously versatile veggie that has some amazing nutritious properties. Did you know the nutrients and minerals in zucchini can help to prevent cancers and heart disease? And if you're looking to get your daily potassium, reach for a zucchini next time instead of a banana as they have more potassium per serving than the delicious yellow fruit.
These doughnuts can also be adapted into bread or muffins, so have fun with this recipe! We hope you enjoy.
2 cups almond meal or almond flour (i have not tested other flours)
1 cup shredded zucchini (squeeze the water out like CRAZY!)
1.5 tsp. baking powder
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted and cooled
1/4 cup ground chia + ¾ water (to make chia egg, and I have not tested with regular eggs)
3/4 cup apple sauce
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
1 tbsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 cup maple syrup (honey or agave will work)
1/3 cup dark chocolate chips (make sure paleo and/or vegan if needed)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease bread pan, muffin pan or doughnut pan.
- Make chia egg by combining ¼ cup ground chia and water in a small bowl and mix (this is different than chia seeds, if you do not have ground chia simply grind some chia seeds in a nutribullet or food processor). Place in fridge so it forms a gel-like consistency.
- Strain all the zucchini and squeeze out any extra water, I used paper towels for this (this part is KEY!).
- Mix together almond meal, zucchini, baking soda, coconut oil, applesauce, vanilla extract, cinnamon, maple syrup and chia egg with a spatula.
- Fold in dark chocolate chips and mix well.
- Bake in oven for 35-45 minutes or until toothpick test turns out clean.
- Enjoy within 5-7 days, you can also freeze for longer.
Recipe via Rachl Mansfield