Nothing welcomes in the fall more than pears. And we are so happy that this delicious fruit is coming back in to season!
Pears are the perfect transition fruit from summer to fall. You can enjoy them alone like apples, or use them in a variety of cooked dishes to stay warm when it gets chilly outside. With how versatile they are, we just had to highlight pears for our seasonal recipe this week.
So if you didn't already know - pears are not only delightfully delicious, but they are also very nutritious! Pears are packed with fiber, which is key in keeping your body regulated and functioning at its best. They also are a great source of minerals such as copper, iron, potassium, manganese and magnesium. We love when what we eat is both super tasty AND good for us. You really can't go wrong with that!
This grilled cheese is the perfect introduction to fall. It's creamy, sweet, salty and overall dang good. You can enjoy it into the next few months, all while enjoying pears at their absolute ripest. So while we're still a little sad to see summer go, with a dish like this, we're welcoming fall with open arms.
1 barlett pear
1 tsp. honey
4 oz. havarti cheese, shredded
2 slices bread of choice (we used a millet bread - so tasty!)
1 tsp. dijon mustard
- Slice your pear a thin as possible. Toss in a bowl with honey and coat well.
- Heat a small pan to medium-high heat and sear pear for 1 - 2 minutes. This will soften the slices and saturate them with honey goodness. (Note - you can also use maple syrup or a little bit of agave in substitution of honey.) Set aside.
- Spread a little dijon mustard on each slice of bread. Top each slice with a good amount of cheese then a few slices of the honey pears. Sprinkle just a little more cheese on top of the pears - this will help the sandwich stick together better.
- Heat a large pan to medium-low heat and add a little butter or coconut oil to coat the pan evenly. Place both slices (bread side down) on the pan and cook for 4 - 5 minutes, until you notice the cheese is starting to melt. CAREFULLY place one slice on top of the other and press down to incorporate all the ingredients. Cook for another 1 -2 minutes, until golden brown and melty.
- Cut in half and dig right in!
Recipe via Will Cook for Smiles