Reasons to be happy today:
- It was a gorgeous day in New York
- It’s meatless Monday again
- It’s summer
- Every day should be a day to be happy!
As you can tell, we are happy clams here at Cornucopia today. So of course, our recipe for #meatlessmonday is going to reflect that. These make-ahead blueberry oatmeal breakfast bars are packed with energy-boosting ingredients and will most definitely put a smile on your face after one bite. They are the perfect bite to take on the road before work or have as a midday snack to keep you moving through the day.
These breakfast bars are also SUPER simple to make. You probably already have the majority of ingredients, too. Meaning, you can whip them up just about any time. Plus, the delightful bites are both vegan AND gluten free, so almost anyone can enjoy them!
1 ripe banana
1/4 cup maple syrup or agave
1 tbsp. unsweetened applesauce
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tbsp. coconut oil, not melted
2 cups gluten free rolled oats
1 scoop vanilla or berry plant-based protein powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/2 cup gluten free rolled oats
1 cup blueberries, fresh
2 tbsp. maple syrup or agave
2 tbsp. lemon juice (about 1/2 of one lemon)
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
2 tbsp. chia seeds
2 tbsp. hemp seeds
1/4 cup almonds, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9×9 inch square pan with parchment paper and lightly grease with nonstick spray or coconut oil.
- Using a hand mixer, mix the banana, maple syrup/agave, applesauce, coconut oil and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Mix in the oats, protein powder, cinnamon and salt until well combined. Mixture will be wet. Transfer the base layer into the square pan. Smooth it out with a spatula or your fingers and press down evenly. Bake for 9-11 minutes.
- In the same mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients for the topping layer until well combined. Remove the pan from oven.
- Pour topping layer over and spread it out evenly, pressing it down into the base layer with a spatula. Bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Allow the bars to cool and set for 15-20 minutes before slicing the squares. Store in refrigerator and ENJOY!
Recipe via The Glowing Fridge