What could be better than chocolate chip cookies? These sweet little treats are loved by children and adults alike – but many times they aren’t very vegan friendly. That’s why we’ve gathered a vegan recipe that doesn’t harm any animal products while maintaining the ooey-gooey and oh so chewy goodness of your best loved cookie!
One of the substitutes we used in this recipe was coconut sugar for white cane sugar. For one, coconut sugar is lower on the Glycemic Index so if you are looking out for how much sugar you intake, switching to coconut sugar may be beneficial! You can also get good amounts of zinc and iron if you use coconut sugar for can sugar in recipes. Coconut sugar tastes less sweet than can sugar, but it’s flavor is still bold with deep traces of molasses. You can substitute coconut sugar for both brown sugar and cane sugar with a 1:1 ratio. Try it out – let us know what you think!
These cookies are literally the perfect way to start the week. You’ll never want to buy cookies from the grocery store again!
1 cup (8 oz or 2 sticks) of softened vegan butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup non-dairy milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt (omit if you use Earth Balance vegan butter because it has a lot of salt in it already)
1 tsp baking soda
12 oz dairy-free chocolate chips
- Pre-heat the over to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the softened vegan butter and both sugars until light and fluffy.
- Add the non-dairy milk and vanilla. Mix well. Scrape the bowl and mix for a few more seconds.
- Add the flour, salt (if using), and baking soda. Mix until most of the flour is gone and the dough has formed. Make sure to scrape the bowl and mix the dough until all the flour is incorporated.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Scoop dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper with a tablespoon. Make sure each scoop has enough chocolate chips and flatten slightly.
- Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes until the edges of the cookies begin to turn golden brown.
- Remove the parchment paper from the baking sheet and onto a wire rack to cool.
- Once the cookies have cooled, remove from parchment paper and serve.
Recipe via Vegan Chow Down