Having healthy snacks on hand that you actually WANT to eat is usually easier said than done. If you’re on the go, hitting that afternoon hump or craving something sweet at night a typical ‘veggies and hummus’ combo won’t always do the trick. Especially with all those leftover holiday treats glaring at you.
In comes the world of protein bars and snacks – marketed to curb your hunger, taste good, and be good for your health. Most likely, at least one of those isn’t true. Even in the rare case a pre-packaged snack does check-off all those boxes the underlying fact is they can be pricey. If you’re relying on pre-made protein bars and snacks everyday it may have opposing effects on your appetite and wallet. This is where making your own snacks really comes in handy.
These cookies are full of all the nutritious ingredients you seek, are gluten free, vegan, easily adjustable for what’s in your pantry AND can help you stay on budget. Here we’re using Garden of Life Sport Protein, a store favorite packed with 30g of organic plant protein, 5.5g of BCAAs and even some probiotics. Feel free to use whichever protein powder you prefer, and if you aren’t sure which is best for you check out our post describing all the different kinds. Other than the protein content, these bad boys are packed with plenty of healthy fats and are refined-sugar free. We used PASCHA Chocolate Chips, as they are a sugar free, allergen-friendly alternative to the normal variety. With no additives the antioxidant content remains strong making the addition of chocolate perfectly suitable for a healthy snack. Simply add these cookies into your weekly meal prep and have a protein-rich sweet treat all week long!
Chocolate Chip Protein Cookies
Serves: 10-15 cookies
Diets: Vegan, Gluten Free, Paleo-friendly
Prep time: 25 mins Cook time: 8-10 mins Total time: 35 mins
1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax seeds + 3 tbsp water) or chia egg
¾ cup almond flour (84g)
2 scoops protein powder (~42g)
½ cup shredded coconut
½ tsp sea salt
½ tsp baking soda
2 tbsp coconut sugar
2 tbsp coconut oil
¼ cup almond butter (or nut butter of choice)
2 tbsp maple syrup (to lower sugar content substitute stevia with varied results)
½ tsp vanilla extract
¼ cup chocolate chips or cacao nibs
2 tbsp hemp seeds or other nut/seed of choice (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, and line a medium sized baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Combine ground flaxseed with water to make the ‘flax egg’ and set aside.
3. Combine all the dry ingredients in a large bowl – almond flour, protein powder, shredded coconut, coconut sugar, sea salt and baking soda.
4. Melt coconut oil if solid at room temperature and combine with the almond butter. Add in the maple syrup, vanilla extract and flax egg. Mix until well combined.
5. Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until a dough forms. Fold in the chocolate chips and nuts or seeds, if using.
6. Using a spoon or tablespoon, scoop the dough, roll into balls, then flatten into circles. Depending on the size of your spoon/scoop you can get 10 larger cookies or up to 15 miniature ones.
7. Place in the oven and bake for 8-12 mins, making sure to pay attention to the smell – when you really smell the cookies you’ll know they’re done and ready to enjoy!