It’s onion season!! We are so excited to celebrate the “blooming” of onion season with you all – onions have been and continue to be a major stable food for everyone. From adding them to soups to making them the star of a dish, we can’t get enough of them!
So we are making a healthier version of a well-known and loved appetizer – the bloomin’ onion! It is a perfect snack to share with friends and loved ones at any time. We’ve made it a little healthier by baking it instead of frying. This helps to keep things nice and crispy without saturating it in oil and fat.
We hope you like it!
2 small yellow onions
2 cups all-purpose flour (can substitute gluten free!)
1 tbsp. paprika
S&P (1 tbsp. each)
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 cup cream
For sauce –
1/3 cup mayo
2 tbsp. sour cream
2 tbsp. horseradish
1 tbsp. ketchup
1/4 tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
S&P to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Prep the onions
- Carefully peel the onions by cutting the smallest amount off of the root first.
- After you’ve peeled them, use a knife to create “petals”. Make sure to not cut all the way through so the onion stays in tact.
- Mix eggs and cream together. Add your onions to the egg mixture and let sit for 5 – 10 minutes, turning half way to make sure the onion is fully saturated in all the nooks and crannies.
- Whisk all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Carefully coat the onions with the flour mixture. Use a spoon to get mixture in all the cracks to ensure that your onion will be crispy!
- Add to your lined baking sheet and drizzle with oil.
- Bake for about 30 minutes until the petals are crisp and the center is tender.
- Mix together all of your sauce ingredients while you wait.
- Grab a friend and DIG IN!