Some nights, takeout sounds like the perfect option when hunger strikes. It’s usually packed with tons of flavor, covered in delicious sauce, and takes all the hassle out of making something yourself.
Inspired by those take out cravings, we are making a simple homemade version of takeout that you will just LOVE. It’s the perfect dish to whip up when you don’t want to do anything but get your sweats on, put on your favorite movie and relax the night away.
In addition to be utterly delicious, these paleo bowls are the ultimate for Iron boosting. They are chalk full of protein and fiber from the steak and are coupled with vitamin C rich broccoli rice. Did we mention it’s slathered in a delicious AND simple sauce?! We hope you ENJOY!
1 tsp. avocado or sesame oil + 1/3 cup oil for frying
1 lb. flank steak or beef strips (vegan, you can totally try tempeh!)
1 tsp. arrowroot starch + 1/4 cup in a bowl to dredge meat before frying
For sauce –
1 tbsp. sesame or avocado oil
1/2 tsp. ginger, minced
1 tsp. garlic, minced
1/4 cup coconut sugar (brown sugar or raw sugar also works!)
1/3 cup tamari (gluten free soy sauce)
1/3 cup broth or water
1 large head broccoli
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
2 scallions, sliced
Sesame seeds and/or chopped cashews for topping
- First prepare all your veggies. Slice your scallions and peppers. Mince garlic/ginger. Keep them close by.
- Slice meat into thin strips. Toss with 1 tsp. oil and 1 tsp. arrowroot starch in a ziplock bag. Marinade in the fridge for 10 minutes or up to one hour.
- In a small sauce pan, add 1 tbsp oil, garlic, and ginger. Stir fry until fragrant.
- Whisk together your tamari soy sauce, broth, and sugar. Add to sauce pan. Bring to a boil then reduce and simmer on low until thickened. Around 10 – 15 minutes.
- Heat a large skillet pan with 1/3 cup oil. Lightly coat beef strips in extra 1/4 cup arrowroot starch, then place in pan to fry/sear. Fry in oil for about 1 minute each side. Browning the steak strips.
- Drain oil from pan and reduce heat.
- Add Mongolian beef sauce and cook with meat 1 min, coating the beef evenly. Then set aside while you make the broccoli rice.
- Cut your broccoli head into 3 to 4 parts. Place each into blender or food processor until all is “riced” texture.
- Place in a large microwave safe bowl. Add 1 tbsp broth or water and lightly steam in microwave for 45 sec. – 1 minute. (feel free to do this on stove if you don’t have microwave)
- Add chopped cashew to broccoli rice if desired.
- Add 1/2 cup or more broccoli rice to bowls. Then place beef and sauce on top.
- Top with sliced scallion, red pepper flakes, sesame seeds + chopped cashews.
- MOST IMPORTANT – get cozied up for a relaxing night in and ENJOY.
Recipe via Cotter Crunch