Your Monday mealtime just got simplified. These portobello mushroom pitas are the epitome a summer sandwich, good for really any time! They are paired with a delicious Hemp Tzatziki that gives the dish the perfect tang.
Mushrooms are a perfect substitute for meat in almost any dish. They provide a good source of protein and still gives you a good dense texture that is similar to meat. Plus it is a much better option than other meat substitutes, which, if you’re not carefully, can contain lots of additives and can be more difficult to digest naturally.
These pitas are ready in just about 20 minutes. This means you can make them any time: before heading to the beach, going out for a daytime adventure with the family, or sitting down for dinner. The mushrooms get all of their flavor from just three ingredients: worcestershire sauce, maple syrup and a little cumin. With a dish this simple AND delicious, what more could you ask for?
2 portobello caps, sliced
2 tbsp. vegan worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. maple syrup
1/2 cup Raw Hemp Tzatziki
Raw Hempm Tzatziki
1 cup hemp seeds
2- 3 cloves garlic minced
Juice of two lemons
2 tbsp. heaping tahini
2-3 persian cucumbers or 1 large (english cucumbers work well too!)
1 tbsp. chopped fresh mint
1 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
1 tbsp. chopped fresh dill
5 tbsp. water
- Whisk together the worcestershire sauce, cumin and maple syrup. Set aside and slice mushrooms. In a medium container, add mushrooms and pour over the marinade, tossing to coat all the pieces evenly. Let that sit while you make the tzatziki sauce.
- For the tzatziki sauce, chop the cucumbers into small pieces. In a blender or food processor, combine the hemp seeds, tahini, minced garlic, lemon juice, and water. Blend or process until smooth and creamy. If it’s too thick, add water 1 tablespoon at a time until you reach your desired consistency. Transfer to a medium bowl. Stir in the herbs and chopped cucumber. Serve immediately or keep refrigerated in an airtight container for 2-3 days.
- Spray a large skillet with a little coconut oil. Sautee mushrooms for 5 minutes, making sure to stir constantly to prevent sticking. Take off of heat and let cool for 3 minutes.
- Heat your pitas on the stove, grill or toaster for about 5 – 10 minutes each side. Now it’s time to assemble!
- Place a few pieces of mushrooms on your pita. Top with a few dollops of the raw hemp tzatziki. DIG IN!
Recipe via Carrots and Flowers