We get it. Now that the kids are back in school and you’re in the full swing of things at work, things can get a little hectic. As the days get shorter, it can feel like your available time is getting shorter too.
One of the hardest things that we tend to forget as we get busy is to eat the most important meal of the day – BREAKFAST! It’s what fills us up with the energy we need to take on the day, as well as gives us vital nutrients to have our bodies working the best they can. But we get it – it’s hard to make time for breakfast when you have to get ready for work, deal with traffic or get your kids ready and take them to school as well. Well, don’t worry – we have you covered.
This paleo egg bake is the perfect solution to make-ahead eating for that key morning meal. It is loaded with nutrients from eggs, meats and tons of veggies. With just one slice, you will get a meal packed with protein, vitamins and minerals to give you all the energy you need – no matter how crazy the day is.
The star ingredient? Pasture-rasied, LOCAL eggs from our friends at Browder’s Birds! They are Long Island’s only certified organic & pastured poultry farm, which makes a huge difference in both the taste and quality of your eggs. For one, buying pasture-raised eggs helps to promote animal welfare, because the chickens your eggs come from have freedom to roam on their farm, are not closed in any pens, and can live a happy and healthy life. In addition, they are more nutritious than organic and even cage-free eggs! Eating pasture-raised will get you more vitamin A, D and E, high levels of omega-3 fatty acids and higher levels of carotene! What’s better than that?!
Make it tonight, slice it up and store it in your fridge for about a week. When you’re ready to have some breakfast, simply wrap a slice in a damp paper towel and microwave it until it’s heated through. If you don’t have a microwave, feel free to pop it into a pan and heat it until it’s warmed all the way through (our tip – add a little bit of water once the pan is hot and cover the pan with a lid to get some steaming action in there too).
1 pound Whole30-compliant buffalo crumbles (recipe below)
3 cups (1 package) sliced white mushrooms
6 green onions , sliced
2 vine tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 tbsp. chopped basil (or 2 teaspoons dried basil)
16 ounces (1 package) frozen chopped spinach, thawed
1 1/2 tsp. salt
Whole30-Compliant Breakfast Buffalo Crumbles –
1 pound ground buffalo
1 tsp. dried sage
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
Pinch dried marjoram
Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
Pinch ground cloves
Whole30-Compliant Breakfast Sausage –
- Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and mix well with your hands. Use in recipe right away or keep in an airtight container for 1 day in the fridge.
Whole30 Breakfast Bake –
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium skillet over medium heat, brown and crumble the buffalo mixture. Add olive oil if necessary.
- Add mushrooms and cook about 5 minutes or until soft, stirring occasionally. Add remaining vegetables, herbs, and salt and cook about 2 minutes or until slightly softened and well combined. Pour mixture into a large baking pan (9×13″ should work perfectly!).
- Crack eggs into a medium bowl and whisk well. Pour over sausage-vegetable mixture and bake 30 – 45 minutes or until a knife, inserted in the center, comes out clean.
- Slice into large pieces, and store in the fridge. When ready to eat, wrap in a damn paper towel and microwave until heated through (about 2 minutes). If you don’t have a microwave, place on a pan over medium heat, and cook thoroughly (tip: add a little water once the pan is hot and place a lid on top immediately after to get some steam action).
Recipe adapted from 40 Aprons