Happy Seasonal Saturday everyone!
With the winter in full force, nothing sounds better than a piping bowl of soup to keep you warm. Add a warm blanket and good company, and it’s the perfect day or night. We have a simple recipe that will warm you – body AND soul – during these winter months. You will need just a few ingredients and about an hour of time. Sounds simple enough!
As children, it was pretty common to hear parents say how good carrots are for you. In fact, just ONE carrot has 200% of the daily intake of Vitamin A. They are a great source of beta-carotene which naturally turns into Vitamin A once in the body. And there’s a easy way to see if you’re getting more or less beta-carotene : the deeper the orange of the carrot, the more beta-carotene! We are always a fan of recipes that not only taste good but also do good for our bodies or the world.
1 1/2 lbs. carrots, cut into 2 inches
2 medium onions, diced (approximately 4 cups)
1 thumb sized ginger root, peeled and diced (approximately 2 tbsp.)
1/4 tsp. salt + more to taste
1/4 tsp. pepper + more to taste
4 cups vegetable broth
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream (for non-dairy, you can use canned coconut milk)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Drizzle carrots in a large bowl with olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss and place in oven for 40 minutes, flipping a few times, until tender. Set aside to cool.
- While carrots cook, heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large soup pot on medium heat. Add onions and cook until slightly browned, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add ginger and vegetable stock to soup pot. Bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, turn heat down to a simmer and cover. Cook for five minutes to allow the ginger to become tender. Set aside to cool.
- Once carrots and broth have cooled a little, add the carrots to the broth. Puree the soup either in batches using a blender or using a hand blender.
- After pureeing, return to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in heavy whipping cream. Add more S&P to taste!
Recipe via Kitchen Treaty