We are soaking in every bit of these summer days before temperatures begin to drop and school gets back in session. So we are here to celebrate summer with this recipe for grilled salmon over coconut cauliflower rice and mango salsa.
Image by: Cooking Classy
This dish really is the best interpretation of summer. It’s refreshing, light, flavorful and hearty – all in one. The lime flavors from the salmon pair PERFECTLY with the coconut creaminess of the cauliflower rice and the tangy taste of the mango salsa.
We love this dinner idea because it’s just a few simple, whole food ingredients that will wow everyone who takes a bite. From start to finish, you will definitely be wanting more of this before the summer is truly over.
Image by: Cooking Classy
4 (6 oz) salmon fillets
3 tbsp. coconut oil , plus more for grill
2 tsp. lime zest
3 tbsp. fresh lime juice
3 cloves garlic, finely minced (or crushed if you have a garlic crusher/press)
S+P, to taste
Coconut Cauliflower Rice –
1 medium head cauliflower
1/2 tbsp. coconut oil
1/2 tsp. ground cardamom
3/4 cup coconut milk
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Mango Salsa –
1 large mango , peeled and diced
3/4 cup chopped red bell pepper (1/2 of one large pepper)
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (or parsley)
1/3 cup red onion, chopped
1 large avocado, peeled and diced
1 tbsp. fresh lime juice
1 tbsp. coconut oil
1 tbsp. coconut water
- In an large baking dish, stir together coconut oil, lime zest, lime juice, garlic and season with salt and pepper to taste. Place salmon in the dish, cover and allow to marinate in refrigerator 15 – 30 minutes, then flip salmon to opposite side and allow to marinate 15 – 30 minutes longer. Preheat the grill (or stove if inside) to medium-high heat during last 10 minutes of marinating.
- While the salmon is marinating, whip up the cauliflower rice:
- Break the cauliflower into florets. Using a cheese grater, grate the cauliflower.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat for 1-2 minutes. Add the coconut oil and let melt. Add the cardamom and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the cauliflower and coconut milk, stirring to combine. Saute the cauliflower for about 10-12 minutes until the coconut milk is adsorbed. If there is any extra liquid, just drain it.
- Oil a pan on the stove (or grill) with coconut oil spray. Place salmon on and grill about 3 minutes per side or until just cooked through (turn carefully as the salmon will be fragile).
- While the salmon cooks, prepare the mango salsa. In a medium bowl toss together mango, bell pepper, cilantro, red onion, avocado, lime juice, olive oil and coconut water. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve salmon warm with coconut rice, and top with avocado mango salsa.
Salmon/Mango Salsa Recipe adapted from Cooking Classy
Coconut Cauliflower Rice Recipe via Healthful Pursuit