Here at Cornucopia we are all about having healthy options that are affordable and easy to make. We love sharing recipes with you that incorporate ingredients that you probably already have on hand, that will be nutritious for you and your family. And of course these recipes have to be delicious, too!
That’s where our super simple falafel recipe comes in. This falafel requires less than 10 ingredients, most of which you probably already have in your pantry! It’s also super simple to make: all you need is a food processor and a baking sheet. Recipes like this are helpful since school is about to be back in session, meaning we all might be a little tighter with time when it comes to cooking.
In addition, this dish yields a large amount of falafel balls (or patties, whichever you choose to make!). This means that you can cook up half, and simply prep the rest and place in the freezer until you’re ready to have another falafel night. You can enjoy these all by themselves with some tahini, tzatziki or hummus. Or you can add them to a pita for the perfect Mediterranean meal.
2 (15 oz.) cans garbanzo beans, drained, rinsed and dried
1 small red onion, roughly chopped
2 large garlic cloves, roughly minced
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. berbere seasoning (chipotle or chili powder works too!)
1 handful parsley, roughly chopped (you can also add cilantro if you want)
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 cup flour (all-purpose works best)
- Add all ingredients minus the baking powder and flour to your food processor (garbanzo beans, spices, onion, garlic and parsley). Pulse until all ingredients are well combined. You’ll have to scrape down the sides a few times, and you want to keep some texture in the mix.
- Transfer to a large mixing bowl and stir in your baking powder. Slowly stir in the flour, and mix until everything is fully incorporated.
- Place the bowl in the fridge for 30 – 60 minutes to let everything marinate together.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Using your hands, form either falafel balls or larger patties. Add these to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 30 minutes, flipping halfway. They will be ready when you see a nice golden brown crisp on each side.
- Serve immediately with hummus, tahini, or you’re favorite sauce. These go perfectly by themselves or can be added to a pita!
Recipe via Balanced Beet