Being a pioneer in their support of a plant-based lifestyle, Vega is a brand that we stand behind and appreciate their strong company values. Vega products all follow standards quite similar to our own – clean, high quality and and no artificial anything. From protein powders and snack bars to supplements and green powders, all of Vega’s products are:
Free of dairy, soy, and artificial flavors, colors and sweeteners
As a brand they also relay several positive messages we favor – such as the importance of nutrition and consuming foods in their natural states. They also individualize healthy living, as we all know not everything that works for one person will work for the next:
“Be Better On Your Own Terms, One Small Change At A Time”.
They also are weakening the notion that all athletes need to consume animal products or bulk-up on artificial products. We’ve highlighted several individuals with the same message, who are proving that wrong in their own journeys – with our store manager, Drew and featured athlete, Rebecca.
In all, Vega is a company with a significant message who provides some really great tasting and great-for-you products that we couldn’t help but share them with you. They are having a sale across their product offerings until the end of the month, so it would be the perfect time to try them out for yourself!
With healthy snacks being high on many people’s list, we thought an awesome way to use some of their products are in homemade protein bars. These can easily be made gluten free with gluten free oat flour, are vegan, and are easily adjustable for what you already have on hand regarding the nut/seed butter and sweetner. The extra benefit though – is using Vega’s Maca Chocolate bar to top them off. Maca is a great adaptogen and can give you a great energy boost, making these bars an incredible snack option to keep you going. They check all the boxes – protein and healthy fats to keep you full, some clean carbs to provide fuel, low in sugar, and an energy boost. PLUS they taste like chewy cookie dough, what could be better!?
These are a perfect addition to your Sunday meal prep, so whip up a batch to have all week long, and be sure to let us know how you liked your Vega Products!
Prep Time: 25 mins Chill Time: 35 mins Total Time: 1 hours
Serves: 8 big bars or 12 smaller bars
1 cup oat flour
¼ cup coconut flour
½ cup (~41g) Vega Sport Vanilla Protein Powder
¼ tsp sea salt
¼ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp baking soda
¼ cup maple syrup, or sweetener of choice
⅓-½ cup almond milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ cup nut/seed butter of choice
1 Vega Maca Chocolate Bar, chopped
1 tsp coconut oil
1-2 tbsp almond milk
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl and sift together to remove any clumps.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the maple syrup, nut/seed butter, ⅓ cup almond milk and vanilla extract until well combined. Add this wet mixture into the dry until you receive a cookie-dough like consistency and the mix holds together in a solid ball. If the dough is too dry, add additional almond milk in tablespoon increments until you reach the desired consistency.
- Line a square or loaf pan with parchment paper (or alternatively, grease the pan with coconut oil) and spread the mixture out evenly. (Tip: use a flat bottom of a cup, or small rolling pin to achieve a flat surface throughout)
- Move dough to the freezer and chill for 20 mins. While the dough is chilling, make the chocolate topping by melting the chocolate bar, coconut oil and almond milk. You can use the double boiler method or melt in the microwave – but be sure to stir and heat in increments to prevent burning.
- Remove the dough from the freezer, spread the melted chocolate across the top and chill again for 15 mins until completely set. Cut into 8-12 bars and store them in the fridge for up to two weeks (if they aren’t all gone before then!)