Every now and again we need a little sweet treat. And on a day like today – wet and gloomy – it’s the perfect time to get in the kitchen and have some fun baking these VEGAN cinnamon rolls.
These cinnamon rolls are perfect as a desert after dinner, a perfect brunch or really, whenever you’re looking for a filling and delicious snack. These vegan rolls are the FLUFFIEST possible – we can promise that vegans and non-vegans alike with love them. In addition, you only need 10 ingredients, and the majority of them you probably already have on deck in your pantry!
The best part of this recipe – these cinnamon rolls are ready in just about an hour! How that’s possible – we’ve doubled the amount of yeast needed which cuts down on the time to proof dough. It helps the dough rise more and in a shorter amount of time. This makes it much easier to enjoy these fluffy, soft and delicious cinnamon rolls without all of the waiting!
4 1/2 tsp. (two packets) active dry yeast
1 cup warm water (110 – 115 degrees F)
1/3 cup melted coconut oil
1 tsp. salt
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup + 1 tsp. sugar
2 tbsp. melted coconut oil
1 tbsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 – 3 tbsp. water
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
- Warm water for 3 – 5 minutes, until it reaches approximately 100 – 115 degrees F. It should feel like warm bath water. Add to a bowl and sprinkle 1 tsp. of sugar and all of the yeast. Stir and let sit for a few minutes to activate. After 5 – 10 minutes, you should see bubbles in the mixture to show that the yeast is alive. If this doesn’t happen, toss and try again with fresher yeast.
- Add coconut oil, salt, 2 cups of flour, remaining sugar and stir until the mixture is well incorporated. Add the additional flour in 1/4 – 1/2 increments until the mixture pulls away from the sides of the bowl, but is still soft and a little sticky.
- Turn the dough on to a floured surface and knead a few times until you form a smooth ball. Dust your bowl with flour and add the dough and set aside.
- Combine cinnamon and brown sugar in a small bowl and mix. Dust the counter with more flour and turn the dough onto the surface. Roll dough out into a rectangle abut 12×16 inches.
- Spread tablespoons of melted coconut oil, leaving a 1 inch border around the edges. Sprinkle cinnamon and brown sugar onto the oil and using your hands, spread evenly on the dough. Use the rolling pin to press the sugar into the dough.
- Starting at the long end closest to you, begin to gently but tightly roll the dough into a log. Make sure the log is positioned so the end is underneath it to avoid unraveling. Use a sharp, serrated knife to slice the two ends where there is no filling. Slice rolls off about 1 1/2 inch thick and place them in a greased baking pan (9×9 should work perfectly). Cover with plastic wrap and set somewhere warm to double in size for about 20 minutes – you can put it on top the stove while it preheats!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Once rolls are puffed up, bake them for 15 – 20 minutes, until they begin to brown slightly.
- While rolls are baking, mix together the powdered sugar, water and vanilla extract. Set aside.
- Take rolls out of the oven and let cool for a few minutes. Glaze and serve!
Recipe via Sprinkled with Jules